Veterans Benefits Information guide to VA benefits

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Benefits

Compensation and/or Pension - Education Benefits

E-mail Print PDF
Article Index
Compensation and/or Pension
Vocational Rehabilitation
Education Benefits
All Pages


Filling out a VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits

The information below lists things you’ll need to prepare for filling out your application and evidence you’ll need to mail separately as supporting documentation.

VA Form 22-1990:

If You:

Evidence to send VA



1. Are Active Duty, Reserve Duty or National Guard Duty

Your DD Form 214 or other separation papers for all periods of service

2. Entered active duty under a delayed enlistment contract between January 1, 1977 and January 2, 1978

A copy of your delayed enlistment contract

3. Are eligible for benefits based upon service before January 2, 1978

A copy of your marriage certificate and birth certificates for each child



4. Are a member of the Selected Reserve

Your Notice of Basic Eligibility, DD Form 2384


Last Updated on Sunday, 22 August 2010 22:28  

Did you know?

A veteran’s family must request a United States flag.

A flag is provided at no cost to drape the casket or accompany the urn of a deceased veteran. Generally, the flag is given to the next of kin. Only one flag may be provided per veteran. Upon the request of the family, an “Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes” (VA Form 21-2008) must be submitted along with a copy of the veteran’s discharge papers. Flags may be obtained from VA regional offices and most U.S. Post Offices.