Veterans Benefits Information guide to VA benefits

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Dependents and Survivors Benefits Commissary or Exchange Privileges

Commissary or Exchange Privileges

E-mail Print PDF

Unlimited exchange and commissary store privileges in the United States are available to honorably discharged veterans with a service-connected disability rated at 100%, unremarried surviving spouses of members or retired members of the armed forces, recipients of the Medal Honor, and dependents and orphans of military retirees. For non-retirees, death must be service-connected. Dependents of Reservists also may be eligible. Privileges overseas are governed by international law and are available only if agreed upon by the foreign government concerned. Though these benefits are provided by DOD, VA does provides assistance in completing DD Form 1172, "Application for Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card. For detail information, contact the nearest military installation.
Last Updated on Tuesday, 06 August 2013 15:00  

Did you know?

Military Funeral Honors ceremonies must be scheduled in advance.

The law requires that every eligible veteran receive a military funeral honors ceremony, which includes the folding and presentation of the United States flag and the playing of “taps,” upon the family’s request. This Department of Defense program calls for the funeral director to request military funeral honors on behalf of the veteran’s family.