Veterans Benefits Information guide to VA benefits

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Gulf War Syndrome Health Care for Gulf War Veterans

Health Care for Gulf War Veterans

E-mail Print PDF

VA offers a variety of health care benefits to Gulf War Veterans, including a Gulf War Registry health exam and clinical treatment at VA’s War Related Illness and Injury Study Center.

Gulf War Registry health exam

VA offers a free Gulf War Registry health exam to all Veterans who served in the Gulf during the 1990-1991 Gulf War, Operation Desert Shield, Operation Desert Storm, Operation Iraqi Freedom, or Operation New Dawn.

Veterans do not need to be enrolled in the VA health care system to receive the Gulf War Registry health exam.

VA’s Gulf War Registry health exam is a voluntary medical exam to track the special health concerns of Gulf War Veterans. The collected data enables VA to understand and address health problems more effectively.

Eligibility for health care

Veterans first must enroll in VA’s health care system to receive care. There are many ways a Veteran may qualify, including:

  • Served in the Persian Gulf from August 2, 1990 to November 11, 1998
  • Served in a combat theater after November 11, 1998 (extended period of eligibility for 5 years after discharge)
  • Have a military service-connected disability

Find out if you qualify for VA health care.

Apply online for VA health care.

Treatment at VA War Related Illness and Injury Study Center

VA's War Related Illness and Injury Study Center (WRIISC) provides clinical expertise for Veterans with deployment health concerns or difficult-to-diagnose illnesses. WRIISCs are in three locations: Washington, DC; East Orange, NJ; and Palo Alto, CA.

For an appointment at a WRIISC, you need to get a referral from a VA primary care doctor. You must be enrolled in and receiving VA health care.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 06 August 2013 15:03  

  • aim
  • bebo
  • blogger
  • Del.ici.ous
  • DiggIt
  • Facebook
  • friendfeed
  • Google Bookmarks
  • linkedin
  • Mixx
  • MySpace
  • netvibes
  • Newsvine
  • Google
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • tumblr
  • Twitter
  • wordpress
  • Yahoo
  • yahoobuzz

Did you know?

The issuance or replacement of military service medals, awards and decorations must be requested in writing.

Requests should be submitted in writing to the appropriate military service branch division of the NPRC. Standard form (SF 180), available through the VA, is recommended to submit your request. Generally, there is no charge for medal or award replacements. For more information, or for the mailing address of the military branch office to submit your request to, call 1-86-NARA-NARA (1-866-272-6272) or visit the NPRC website at