Veterans Benefits Information guide to VA benefits

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Gulf War Syndrome Gulf War Exposures

Gulf War Exposures

E-mail Print PDF

Gulf War I (August 2, 1990 – March 3, 1991), includes Operations Desert Storm and Desert Shield

Gulf War I Veterans may have been exposed to a variety of environmental and chemical hazards that carried potential health risks. VA offers eligible Veterans a free Gulf War Registry health exam for possible long-term health problems related to Gulf War service.

Including anthrax and botulinum toxoid

Pyridostigmine Bromide (PB)
Round, white tablet used as pre-treatment drug to protect against nerve agent soman

Oil Well Fires, Smoke and Petroleum
Oil or gas wells that caught on fire and burned

Substances used to repel or destroy pests such as insects and pathogens

Chemical & Biological Weapons (Khamisiyah, Iraq)
Ammunitions storage depot containing warfare agents demolished by U.S. soldiers

 Sand, Dust and Particulates
Tiny airborne matter that can cause respiratory and other health problems

Depleted Uranium
Uranium used in military tank armor and some bullets

Toxic Embedded Fragments
Shrapnel and other metals that remain in the body after injury

Harmful sounds from guns, equipment, and machinery that is often experienced during military service

Infectious Diseases
Nine infectious diseases associated with Southwest Asia and Afghanistan military service

CARC Paint
Chemical Agent Resistant Coating (CARC) used on military vehicles to resist corrosion and chemical agents

Heat Injuries
Possible health problems from extremely hot temperatures

Occupational Hazards
Exposures from working with chemicals, paints, and machinery during service


Last Updated on Tuesday, 06 August 2013 15:02  

  • aim
  • bebo
  • blogger
  • Del.ici.ous
  • DiggIt
  • Facebook
  • friendfeed
  • Google Bookmarks
  • linkedin
  • Mixx
  • MySpace
  • netvibes
  • Newsvine
  • Google
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • tumblr
  • Twitter
  • wordpress
  • Yahoo
  • yahoobuzz

Did you know?

The issuance or replacement of military service medals, awards and decorations must be requested in writing.

Requests should be submitted in writing to the appropriate military service branch division of the NPRC. Standard form (SF 180), available through the VA, is recommended to submit your request. Generally, there is no charge for medal or award replacements. For more information, or for the mailing address of the military branch office to submit your request to, call 1-86-NARA-NARA (1-866-272-6272) or visit the NPRC website at