Veterans Benefits Information guide to VA benefits

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home News Veterans Benefit Center set for North Carolina

Veterans Benefit Center set for North Carolina

E-mail Print PDF

The American Legion Department of North Carolina will host a Veterans Benefit Action Center (VBAC) Sept. 8-10 in Cary, N.C.

During the event, veterans and dependents will have the opportunity to connect with American Legion service officers, benefit officials from the Department of Veterans Affairs, and other health care representatives. The VA will accept claims-related evidence for processing, provide claim status updates and disseminate information regarding available services. Those who wish to receive claim-specific information should bring any available case documentation, military and civilian medical records, and a DD-214.

North Carolina ranks eighth in the country among the top 10 states with the largest veteran population. Nestled in Wake County, Cary is home to more than 70,000 veterans.

“We are trying to reach the numerous veterans that may not have access to those services or got lost while navigating the claims process,” said Richard Spyrison, a service officer for American Legion Post 67 in Cary.

Spyrison said he hopes the event will draw transitioning troops from Ft. Bragg, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base and Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune who would like to file new disability claims or have questions regarding benefit entitlements and VA health care. Mobile Vet Centers also will be present to provide immediate treatment for mental health conditions and other medical issues.

The VBAC is just one of the Department of North Carolina’s many outreach efforts throughout the state to help veterans and servicemembers expedite disability claims and appeals, and address other health care concerns.

“It is our hope that our outreach program will gain traction on a national level and garner funding and support from top officials in Washington,” Spyrison said.

The VBAC event will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sept. 8-9, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 10 at the Herbert Youth Community Center, 101 Wilkinson Ave., in Cary.

Read More

Did you know?

The issuance or replacement of military service medals, awards and decorations must be requested in writing.

Requests should be submitted in writing to the appropriate military service branch division of the NPRC. Standard form (SF 180), available through the VA, is recommended to submit your request. Generally, there is no charge for medal or award replacements. For more information, or for the mailing address of the military branch office to submit your request to, call 1-86-NARA-NARA (1-866-272-6272) or visit the NPRC website at