Veterans Benefits Information guide to VA benefits

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home News Veterans benefits center set for North Carolina

Veterans benefits center set for North Carolina

E-mail Print PDF

For the third time in four years, American Legion Post 67 in Cary, N.C., is providing an opportunity for veterans to get answers – and sometimes resolutions – regarding their benefits and healthcare.

On Sept. 12-14, Post 67 is conducting another Veterans Experience Action Center (VEAC), teaming up with the Department of Veterans Affairs, Wake County (N.C.) Veterans’ Services and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The center will take place from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sept. 12, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Sept. 13 and 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Sept. 14 at the Herbert Young Community Center, 101 Wilkinson Ave., Cary.

In 2016 and 2017 Post 67 put on a similar event, assisting more than 1,600 veterans in the process while awarding more than $1 million in benefits. A VEAC was scheduled for September 2018 but was cancelled because of Hurricane Florence.

The VEACs make available to veterans various local, state and federal agencies to assist with veterans’ benefits and healthcare questions. Veterans will have the opportunity to meet face to face with those workers, rather than dealing with them over the phone or online. Veterans from as far away as Arizona have attended the events, where they can check on the status of pending VA claims and file new ones on the spot. Some receive VA disability ratings while at the center.

At the VEAC, workers will assist with face-to-face explanation and assistance facilitating and expediting existing claims and appeals, filling new claims, and accepting all claims-related evidence for processing and providing information regarding benefit-related VA programs.

Those seeking help at the VEAC are asked to bring proper documentation about their case: DD 214, all medical records about any military and civilian disability, and dependency documents if new or not already provided to the VA.

Post 67 Service Officer Richard Spyrison said he expects 1,400-1,500 veterans and family members to attend this year’s VEAC; wait times could be long, so those using the VEAC are asked to be patients. Coffee, water and snacks will be provided free of charge.

For more information contact Spyrison at

Read More

Did you know?

The issuance or replacement of military service medals, awards and decorations must be requested in writing.

Requests should be submitted in writing to the appropriate military service branch division of the NPRC. Standard form (SF 180), available through the VA, is recommended to submit your request. Generally, there is no charge for medal or award replacements. For more information, or for the mailing address of the military branch office to submit your request to, call 1-86-NARA-NARA (1-866-272-6272) or visit the NPRC website at