Veterans Benefits Information guide to VA benefits

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home News National commander: Close loophole that leaves veterans vulnerable to predatory colleges

National commander: Close loophole that leaves veterans vulnerable to predatory colleges

E-mail Print PDF

American Legion National Commander James W. "Bill" Oxford issued a statement Sept. 27 affirming the importance of closing the 90-10 loophole in the reauthorization of the Higher Education Act.

“As the original drafters of the first GI Bill, The American Legion has long advocated for securing a veteran’s right to education,” said Oxford. “Our membership has unequivocally stated that closing the 90-10 loophole through amending the Higher Education Act is critical to ensuring the Forever GI Bill is protected.

“Our position remains unchanged. The American Legion cannot support Sen. Lamar Alexander’s proposal absent a provision closing the 90-10 loophole. That is our line in the sand. The American Legion looks forward to working with Alexander’s office to secure a Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act that is in the best interest of our nation’s veterans and their families.”

The statement was issued in rebuke of draft language for the bill announced by Alexander, R-Tenn., who chairs the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee. Alexander’s bill omits the provision to close the 90-10 loophole.

The 90-10 rule mandates for-profit schools obtain at least 10 percent of their revenue from sources other than Title IV education funds, which are the primary source of student aid. GI Bill benefits fall with the 10 percent category, making them valuable to for-profit institutions and leaving veterans vulnerable to predatory institutions.

Read More

Did you know?

The issuance or replacement of military service medals, awards and decorations must be requested in writing.

Requests should be submitted in writing to the appropriate military service branch division of the NPRC. Standard form (SF 180), available through the VA, is recommended to submit your request. Generally, there is no charge for medal or award replacements. For more information, or for the mailing address of the military branch office to submit your request to, call 1-86-NARA-NARA (1-866-272-6272) or visit the NPRC website at