Veterans Benefits Information guide to VA benefits

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home News Legion to connect with vets in Los Angeles area

Legion to connect with vets in Los Angeles area

E-mail Print PDF

The American Legion will conduct a town hall meeting for veterans Oct. 27 in Long Beach, Calif., to discuss the quality of health care they are receiving from Department of Veterans Affairs facilities throughout southern California.

The town hall meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 27, at American Legion Post 496 on 5938 East Parkcrest St. in Long Beach. The meeting is open to the public and veterans are encouraged to attend, especially those affected by VA delays in medical care or benefit claims processing.

The American Legion will also conduct a Veterans Outreach Center (VOC) at Post 496 from Oct. 28 to Oct. 30. Services provided will include VA appointment scheduling, assistance with benefits claims, grief counseling and help with enrollment in VA health care.

Operating hours for the outreach center are 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Oct. 28, and 8 a.m.-8 p.m. October 29-30.

Members of the Legion’s national staff, along with local Legionnaires, staff from VA facilities and volunteers from other organizations, will be on hand at the VOC to assist veterans and their families.

Verna Jones, executive director of The American Legion in Washington, said the organization is conducting VOCs “because many veterans and their families have been affected by serious delays in getting access to their VA health care, and in getting decisions made by VA on their disability and other benefits claims.”

Read More

Did you know?

The issuance or replacement of military service medals, awards and decorations must be requested in writing.

Requests should be submitted in writing to the appropriate military service branch division of the NPRC. Standard form (SF 180), available through the VA, is recommended to submit your request. Generally, there is no charge for medal or award replacements. For more information, or for the mailing address of the military branch office to submit your request to, call 1-86-NARA-NARA (1-866-272-6272) or visit the NPRC website at