Veterans Benefits Information guide to VA benefits

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Q & A VA Pension discharged in 1983 with OTH discharge and would like to up grade,how could I do it
  • Accepted Answer
    1. Obtain a copy of DD Form 293, "Application for the Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States."
    2. Complete personal information in Section 1.
    3. If you are making the application on behalf of another individual, complete Section 2.
    4. Indicate the action you wish the board to accomplish in Section 3.
    5. In section 4, indicate whether you wish to appear before the board in Washington D.C., wait for a traveling board, or have a records only review.
    6. If you are being represented by another person, complete section 5.
    7. Complete Section 6 if you elect not to be represented by counsel.
    8. List supporting documentation in Section 7.
    9. In Section 8, tell the board exactly why they should consider upgrading your discharge.
    10. Sign and Date the Form in Section 9.
    11. Mail the completed form to the address listed on the reverse side of the DD Form 293.


    1. Most of these requests are not approved. To maximize your chances, it is a good idea to be represented by an experienced attorney.
    2. If the Discharge is over 15 years old, you must apply for a Correction of Military Records.
    3. It may take several months for the board to review your application and make a decision.



    Answered by David - 31 12 1969
Similar Questions Found